11 August 2009

There is "I" in Pie, or When Eating is Tasting.

First I would like to thank my lovely friend Ms Fledermaus for pointing out the I in Pie. See, I live on a magical island, to clarify, the island really exists, the atmosphere is magical. It rests in the middle of the Mississippi and its like a small town. A small town where I can go door to door with jam and meat pie. But Foodiegrrl, you have had WLS, what's with the pie?

I am a bit of a competitive sort and when my partner in domestic bliss, Mr. Wilson came home and announced a pie contest at his work, my immediate response was "time for a pie victory". Besides I have lots of leftover puff pastry in the freezer from a party in July and I can't eat much of the stuff. "So sweet or savory" I ask and it is determined that savory wins. Goodie for me, I tend to make lovely fruit pies or crusts full of soupy bubbly goo that makes the oven smoke with no rhyme or reason as to which will come out after 45 minutes. Could be blackberry tart or Mt Pele in fruit.

I think I am a bit of a mutant in that most of the joy in cooking for me is not in the eating, but in the making. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat. One does not sashay up to the nearly 300lb mark but not enjoying food but I have found that post WLS I have been able to tap into a peculiar habit and make it work to my benefit.

You see I love cooking for friends. Taking a day to cook and prepare, visiting farmers markets and mining my brain for new twists on old ideas. Here is where the peculiar habit comes in, I tend to not eat much at my parties. I have always taken a small plate after everyone else is finished serving themselves and sat down with my guests. This works wonderfully for me post WLS.

I focus my enjoyment on tasting as flavors develop during the cooking process and savoring the final product but being mindful of the process. Does the braising liquid need more salt, are the onions caramelized enough? I have to chew well and experience all the flavors, which is a little treat for me as the cook. The guests get the final product, but I get to taste the magic as it happens. Like a mechanic, I tweak and tinker with the flavors and how they mix and marry. I take my joy in watching my friends faces as the conversation dies down and they forgo talking for eating the tasty new dish I have provided.
This is where the "I" in pie comes in, I put myself into what I make, I cook with love and care. It is not about quantity or eating until one is uncomfortable but breaking bread and sharing part of yourself with those you care about.

So, I did a dry run on the meat pie, which has been deemed as successful and I will help Mr. Wilson bring pie pride home to our little island when the meat pie wins the contest. Presumptuous yes, but you haven't had my pie.

UPDATE: The Pot Roast Pie was a winner for "most original". All the judges wanted second and third helpings. Woot!!

1 comment:

  1. Beth and I are coming to Minneapolis for a visit, and will establish a beachhead on your island sometime over the Labor Day weekend. Yay!

    ReplyDelete