01 September 2009

Thanks for the recipe wherever you are

One of my most go to cookbooks is the All Around the World cookbook by Sheila Lukins, who died today. Thank you for great Feijoada recipe wherever you are. The recipe is below, its not WLS friendly but I will work on making it so. I began making it over 10 years ago when we would have Brasilian Saturday Night Special at my house, this dish is often considered the national dish of Brasil and is oft served with rice. The meats here are good suggestions but it can be whatever kind pig you want to put in the pot.

Rio's Feijoada from  All Around the World by Sheila Lukins

1 1/2 lbs of dried black beans rinsed and soaked in water overnight to cover
1 pork knuckle ( I use a ham hock for this)
8 oz of slab bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 oz Keilbasa (I substitute what ever looks good in the sausage case at my butcher)
8 oz Spicey franks (was never really sure what she was getting at here so just used whatever spicy pork sausage looked good)
8 oz uncooked sausages like bratwurst (you can see a theme here)
12 oz lightly smoked ham in 2 thick slices
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of boneless pork chops
4 medium onions
1 lb pork belly
1 orange
3 bay leaves
course ground black pepper to taste
4 T olive oil
8 cloves of garlic
1 large bell pepper diced

Drain and rinse the beans and add into a heavy bottomed dutch oven or casserole with the meat half the onion the orange bay and black pepper.

Cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil skimming foam as needed. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until beans are tender and meat is cooked. About 1 1/2 hours.

While the beans are cooking saute the pepper and onion in oil with the garlic for about 10 minutes. Set aside.

When the beans are tender remove about 1 cup and puree. Sheila calls for the food processor here but I always use a blender or go after them in the pot with my trusty potato masher.

Add the onion mixture and serve

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That is one of the meatiest recipes I have ever seen! It's a shame that most of my friends are vegans, because I would shock and amaze my guests with this. You truly are the QoM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that given the pork factor, my Orthodox grandparents would be spinning in their graves so hard they would drill a hole to China.

    ReplyDelete