14 September 2009

Cheese of La Mancha

Earlier I talked about the increased calcium and protein in sheep's milk cheese. Given that here in Minneapolis we are lucky enough to have lots of cheese producers, I take for granted that artisinal sheep's cheese isn't found around every corner. I headed over to my local grocery which has a pretty awsome cheese counter very much in part to its cheesemonger Liz.  I asked her for a readily available sheep's milk cheese and she suggested Manchego. According to wikipedia "Manchego is produced in La Mancha and is made only from the whole milk of Manchega sheep. The rich, semi-firm product is aged in natural caves for three to six months, imparting a zest and exuberant flavor".  I find it great just eaten straight up or with the wonderful apples that are coming in with the fall.

1 ounce of Manchego packs 7 grams of protein, 30% of your daily calcium and 120 calories.  Not a food for those just starting out but if you are trying to get the all important protein and calcium into your diet with some great flavor its worth a shot.

I have marinated cheese before but hadn't made a crack at Manchego, here is a recipe I found that looks promising from grouprecipies.com.  I made a few adjustments to the recipe including correcting the authors misstatement that Manchego is goat cheese.  Simply cube the cheese with the rind on and  combine the remaining ingredients.  Mix the cheese with the marinade and allow to sit overnight.  Garnish with herbs and Viola! 
Adding some olives would also be wonderful. 
  • 5 oz Manchego
  • 1 garlic clove, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 3 tarragon sprigs, chopped
  • 3 thyme sprigs, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • olive oil (extra-virgin, or otherwise)

No comments:

Post a Comment