28 September 2009

Weekly Update and Ode to the Tong


I know I have been yammering on about the cashew graham cracker. Initial tests yielded a product that tasted more of bran muffin than cracker. I will keep working on it and post a workable recipe shortly. I will leave you with a consolation prize at the bottom of today's post.


Fall has come to my little island, the rain and leaves fell along with the temperatures last night and I was faced with a dilemma. Last time it was this cold I was nearly 300 lbs and 10 sizes bigger than I am today. My coats fit like a tent and a none too flattering one at that. Luckily I bought a sweater on a whim when it was still warm and so I am snuggled up in a turtleneck on this cold and windy day in Minnesota. I am not looking forward to winter without that 100 lbs of extra insulation but that's what wool is made for and I will strap on as many sheep products as needed in lieu of gaining back the weight.

I digress. I have a confession to make. I am in love with my tongs. Oxo Good Grips locking tongs, you have my heart. A series of neighborhood get together left me momentarily tongless and I scurried out to replace them. They grab, they stir, they help me even at my height to get things I cannot reach. If you know me, I have most likely given you tongs and if I haven't yet, well I guess I just ruined Festivus for you. These, by the way are not the evil silicone tipped tongs that don't close and won't grab anything. No, these are the one thing that I swear everyone needs, along with a good knife and a 10 inch sauté pan. 
 
Now your consulation recipe; 
My beloved neighbor Peat has alot of city chickens, whom we feed scraps and get eggs in return.  So I give you the Frugal Gourmet's crustless quiche.  I grew up learning to cook from the Frug, may he rest in peace. 
 
Crustless Quiche
Adjust post WLS
 
5 eggs

1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Rumsford)
1/8 teaspoon salt
16 ounce container large curd low fat cottage cheese (you could try fat free but I haven't tested it)
8 ounces low fat jack cheese, grated  or cheese of your choice, do not use fat free cheese it does not melt
1 T butter or olive oil (optional for sauteing the onion and optional veggies)  Cooking spray will do
1 medium onion, sliced into half rounds

Optional, you can add any protein or veg you would like, made sure to saute any veg before hand to cook off some of the liquid.  Gimme Lean is a great sausage substitute with tons of protein.  Make sure all of your proteins like lean ham or faux sausage are cooked before adding. 

Try using half eggs and half egg substitute, but I would not recommend egg white only. 
Preheat oven to 400º F



Sauté onion in until translucent, I prefer to go the extra step and caramelize mine.


Beat eggs in large bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in cottage cheese and 1/2 the amount of jack cheese. Gently stir in onions and any other vegetables (if desired). Sprinkle remaining jack cheese on top.

Pour into 9" x 13" (or similar size) greased baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes at 400º. Reduce heat to 350º and bake for another 30 minutes or until top is golden and puffy. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. 
 
Nutritional breakdown from caloriecount.about.com
 
1 six ounce serving has:
219 calories
77 from fat
24 grams of protein
 
If you mix egg substitute and whole eggs using substitute for 3 of the eggs:
216 calories
67 from fat
25 grams of protein
 
Using all egg substitute really only saves you 5 calories.  Enjoy the eggs. especially those with omega 3's, they are good for your heart and even your mood. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment